Jen communicating with the locals (pic: Shane Mitchell)

Jen communicating with the locals (pic: Shane Mitchell)

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Socks, Crocs and Savoury Shapes


For anyone who has been following me on facebook you would be aware of my current socks and sandals (or socks and crocs which even a blind camel would admit is a crime) issue which has plagued the island over the last two weeks (funny, we’ve only been here two weeks, I’m beginning to notice a pattern). With the absence of any sort of military rule or fashion police dictatorship it seems the socks and sandals will remain a part of the Island experience until…. Well until… lets say it’s a toss up between when the next boat gets here and well… Umm… Well…, if you’ve heard the story about the moose knuckle (and if you haven’t count yourself lucky), you’ll agree it could be …

sooner…

So socks and sandals aside, the week has been full of strange and mystical occurrences. I watched the ultimate battle of the Hermits, complete with cage flight, flying chairs and tag team style group take downs (I’m exaggerating [*gasp*shock*horror*] WWF has been on Fox, how can one not be inspired)…But there was a crowd looking on (all shouting in unison “Fight! Fight! Fight!”). I was careful not to disturb!

I put my money on the one on the left, but I always seem to vote for the underdog!



Sometimes curiosity only leads to a fight

So along with the Hermit scuffles and the amazing nights of stars as far as the eye can see, I had my first encounter with a nesting turtle… Well, she was looking for a nest. Her name was Jemima. We had quite a long conversation about how Jemima was a puddle duck in a storybook and that come to think of it, the island has a distinct lack of puddles for a Jemima, noting ofcourse that this Jemima wasn’t a duck so therefore the problem wasn’t quite as pressing. Honestly, I found the conversation a little one sided, she was kind of distracted. Its hard work heaving a massive shell up an unstable gravel embankment. I left her to it.



This week also bought with it the discovery of the shapes. 14 boxes of Savoury flavoured Arnotts Shapes. For those of you who have just joined us, we bought out six months worth of food with us to the island, minus what the previous crew decided we didn’t need (?!!). Amongst that list was any other flavour of shapes, you know the “baked not fried” savoury crackers with the little chickens or Mexican men standing on them playing mariachi or enchilados or whatever it is they play “flavour you can see” style… but really, and be brutally honest with me here guys, WHO ACTUALLY EATS THE SAVOURY ONES?! I can understand an over abundance of Pizza or BBQ (yumm... and errr...noticeably missing) but SAVOURY?! No problems though. All fourteen packets went out of date in October. No shapes for Jenny…. (cue: “Awwww!”)


I did however have an amazing afternoon turfing (and eating) but mainly turfing 6 4L punnets of icecream to make room for the 13 new 4L tubs of icecream. No-one else eats icecream here. They are going to need a crane to get me off this island (if it doesn’t sink first).


The week has been pleasant and eventful. I finally cracked the sewing machine out of it’s pristine foam packaging, started and finished a 1000 pc jigsaw (Cue: raucous applause), made several expeditions around the island at sunrise, (and sunset) played some guitar, ate some lamb chops (I know right, riveting stuff) and chased some Boobies with Nick’s remote control ute… Bogans unite!

I hope this finds you all well and bracing yourself for the excessive consumption of the impending festive season. I look forward to hearing from those of you who remember those of us stranded in isolation, and for the rest of you…

Savoury Shapes??

JJn

2 comments:

  1. Did you cut down the one lonely tree on the island to decorate your living area, or is that an artifical Christmas tree in the backround?
    Good work on the ice cream, but I AM slightly concerned about the rest of your companions lack of interest in ice cream. My Grandma always said "never trust anyone that won't eat ice cream"- or was it "never trust anyone that won't drink beer". Well, never mind. Continue on.
    Love the blog.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. artificial... the most convoluted and ridiculous artificial xmas tree ever to be put up mind... ahhh... the thrill of the festive season without the endless streams of santa harrassing the endless streams of already stressed customers.... the thrill seems almost artificial in itself...

    ReplyDelete